This is one of the MOST delicious and satisfying grilled cheese sandwiches that you will EVER make!
- Add a large knob of butter to a saucepan.
- Once melted, add the flour and stir to combine – use a whisk to make it easier.
- Leave to cook for about 30 seconds – but be careful not to burn it.
- Next, pour in the warmed milk and whisk again to make sure the milk is lump-free.
- Stir through the white pepper, salt and nutmeg.
- Continuously stir, until thickened – this should take about 3 minutes. Again, be careful the béchamel doesn’t burn.
- When the béchamel has thickened, add grated cheese (about 3/4 cup) – remove from the heat and stir the sauce until the cheese has melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Take the toasted bread slices and spread a layer of Dijon mustard onto each slice.
- Place the ham on top of two slices of toast. Use loads of ham!
- Top the ham with grated Gruyere cheese or grated mozzarella.
- Take the other two slices of toast and place it on top to create two sandwiches.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of béchamel sauce on top of each sandwich.
- Add more grated cheese on top and finish with a sprinkling of mixed herbs.
- Place the two sandwiches into the oven and grill until the cheese has melted and the top of the sandwiches are deliciously golden brown – about 15 minutes.
- BON APPPÉTIT!