This classic breakfast is a great way to start a lazy Sunday. Best served with great coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice and your favourite newspaper.
- Heat a saucepan and slowly melt the butter – but make sure it doesn’t reach boiling point.
- Put the egg yolks, lemon juice and salt into a blender and blitz the mixture until light in colour – about 40 seconds should do the trick.
- Turn the blender down to its lowest speed.
- Take the melted butter and slowly drizzle it into the egg yolk mixture, until it’s all been used up.
- Keep blending for an extra 10 seconds.
- Taste and adjust to your liking – if you think it needs more lemon juice or salt you can simply stir it in.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil then add the vinegar.
- Break an egg into a teacup or ramekin.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, swirl the water until a vortex forms.
- Carefully slide the egg into the water.
- Poach for about 3 minutes then remove the poached egg using a slotted spoon.
- Drain the egg on kitchen paper and keep it warm.
- Repeat with the remaining three eggs – one at a time.
- While the eggs are poaching, cut the English muffins in half and toast them on both sides.
- Place two English muffins on two plates.
- Spoon and spread a tiny bit of hollandaise sauce over each toasted muffin, then top with the slices of ham.
- Place a poached egg on top of each slice of ham.
- Generously spoon dollops of hollandaise over each egg.
- Tuck in!
OK FOOD TIP
You can replace the smoked ham with crispy bacon, smoked salmon or if you are vegetarian, opt for wilted spinach instead.