Breyani is a traditional spiced rice dish that is normally made in bulk for special events such as weddings and can sometimes take a whole day to make! We have a fast, easy and tasty recipe for you that will take less than an hour, from start to finish. Unlike the traditional one, it is not baked in the oven, but made in a pot on top of the stove; and you can use any meat you like!
4 - 6
- Start with cooking the lentils and set it aside until needed (Cook the 1 cup of lentils in 2 cups of water and 5 ml salt for about 10 minutes)
- Heat cooking oil on medium/high heat in a large pot on the stove.
- Add sliced onions and stir-fry until lightly browned.
- Add meat and stir fry until cooked on the outside.
- Add carrots and potato and mix
- Add chopped garlic, green chilli, curry and spice powders, sugar and salt, mix well and cook together for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and give it a good stir
- Level the contents of the pot with the back of a large spoon.
- Add the cooked lentils and spread out evenly on the meat; then top it off with the raw rice. Level the rice out evenly in the pot.
- Top up carefully with boiling water from the kettle to about 2 cm above level of rice.
- Now seal tightly with a lid and turn the stove plate down to low/medium.
- Cook without lifting the lid for 40 min. Serve hot with some sambal salads on the side.
When dishing up, remember to dig all the way to the bottom of the pot to reach some of the meat layer.