Enjoy a Greek-style evening with your family with this quick and delicious chicken kebab recipe.
For the Chicken Kebabs
- Cut the chicken into cubes (each cube roughly the size of a matchbox)
- Combine all the ingredients (except for the onion), add the chicken cubes, cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour.
- Submerge the kebab sticks in water and leave to soak. This will prevent the kebab sticks from burning when you cook the chicken.
- After about an hour, remove the chicken from the fridge.
- Skewer the chicken cubes and chunks of red onion onto the kebab sticks, alternating the onion and chicken as you go.
- Keep skewering until you’ve used up all the chicken, and reserve the marinade.
- Heat a griddle pan, and cook the chicken, basting with the leftover marinade as you go.
- The chicken should be cooked through after about 10 – 15 minutes.
For the Tzatziki
- While the chicken is marinating in the fridge, make the tzatziki.
- Grate the cucumber and put it in a colander.
- Sprinkle over about a tablespoon of coarse salt, and set aside for about 30 minutes to allow the salt to draw out the moisture in the cucumber.
- After 30 minutes, rinse the cucumber under cold water, then drain on kitchen paper.
- In a large bowl combine the cucumber with the yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and fresh mint.
- Have a taste and season to your liking.
Serve the kebabs on a platter, with the bowl of tzatziki and warmed pita breads on the side.