Every day, long before you’ve even had a chance to snooze your alarm clock for the second time, OK’s bakers are hard at work mixing and kneading to create the freshest breads, pastries, cakes and pies. But sometimes we forget about that trusty loaf of bread sitting in the cupboard at home. Here are some tips to use your slightly stale bread instead of just feeding it to the birds.
- Croutons: Cut the stale bread into cubes, place them in a roasting tray, drizzle over a glug of olive oil and toast until golden and crunchy. Great for soups and salads.
- Meatball Mix: Make breadcrumbs by toasting slices, then grating them. Use the crumbs as part of your meatball mixture. You can also freeze the breadcrumbs to use later.
- Chicken Stuffing: Grate stale bread and combine it with your favourite herbs, lemon zest and juice, and butter. Stuff the chicken’s cavity with your mixture, close the opening using either toothpicks or a halved lemon and roast the bird in the oven like you usually would and dish up.
- Crunchy Toppings: Combine parmesan and breadcrumbs to add some crunch to your mac & cheese by using this as a topping while it’s baking.
- Fondue: Cut the stale bread into bite-sized cubes and use it to soak up that delicious, melted cheese at your next fondue party.
- French Toast: A breakfast classic – thick slices of bread, dipped in whisked egg, pan-fried in loads of butter until golden and topped with crispy bacon and golden syrup.
- Bruschetta: If you have a stale loaf of Ciabatta or French bread, cut it into thin slices, brush with garlicky olive oil and pop on a roasting tray and toast in the oven until golden on both sides. Serve topped with a combination of finely chopped tomatoes, red onion, and basil.
And when you’re not using these helpful hacks, come browse through our selection of freshly baked goods! Whether you’re looking for a breakfast pastry or a cake for your colleague’s birthday, a lunchtime pie to get you through the day or to pick up the standard loaf of bread on your way home. OK Foods is here to make your life a little more convenient, every day!