4 - 6
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on high. Cook beef in batches for 5-6 minutes each, until browned all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Sauté onion for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden. Stir in garlic, chilli, ginger, curry powder, sugar and turmeric. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Return beef to pan with carrots, stirring for 1 minute to coat it in the spices.
- Pour in the coconut milk, tomatoes, water and fish sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 40-45 minutes, or until beef is very tender.
- Top with coriander leaves to serve. Accompany with lime wedges and a torn baguette for dipping.