Pan Seared Steak with Roast Potatoes and Mint Sauce
Ramona Moodley ticked all the right boxes with this “What’s cooking in your kitchen?” winning recipe. An impressive dish without the fuss, it’s the perfect meal for sharing.
cooks inSteak: 4 1/2 mins, Potatoes: 20mins
- Let steaks stand 30 minutes at room temperature (prep and roast potatoes in this time).
- Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over steaks.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat.
- Heat oil in pan and add the steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add butter, thyme, and garlic to pan.
- Carefully grasp pan handle using an oven mitt or folded dish towel and tilt the pan toward you to make the butter pool; cook 1 1/2 minutes, basting steaks with butter constantly.
- Remove steaks from pan and cover loosely with OK Housebrand foil.
- Let it stand 10 minutes. Reserve butter mixture.
- Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Discard thyme and garlic, and spoon the reserved butter mixture over the steak.
- Preheat oven to 250OC
- Place potatoes in a large roasting pan and toss with OK Housebrand Sunflower oil, OK Housebrand salt, pepper, and rosemary until evenly coated. Spread potatoes out in a single layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately
- Strip off the mint leaves, sprinkle with salt and chop finely.
- Place into a jug, add the sugar and pour over the boiling water, stir and leave to cool.
- Stir in the vinegar and taste.
- Add more water or vinegar to adjust the seasoning to suit your taste.