It’s no secret that South Africa’s favourite pastime is getting together around a fire, cracking open a cold one and being outside with friends and family. One of the simple pleasures at any SAFFAs braai is biting into that perfectly braaied, juicy boerie roll. Here are some tips to take your Boerie rolls to braai master level.
Boerie Braai Tips
- Choose Quality: When you use the best quality meat you can find, you’ve won half the battle. Good thing you’ve chosen OK’s Choice Boerewors!
- Keep it Fresh: Avoid freezing and then defrosting boerewors. Freshness always tastes better. Plan ahead and buy your boerewors and rolls on the day you’re having the braai.
- Feel the Fire: Just like you shouldn’t test the bathwater with both feet, you shouldn’t just gooi boerewors (or any other meat) onto your braai without knowing how hot your coals are. Boerewors likes to be braaied over a medium heat. To test if the fire is ready, hold one hand over the coals, then start counting. If you can count to five without having to yank your hand away, then the coals are at a medium temperature, and you’re ready to braai.
- Keep it in One Piece: The easiest way to braai boerie is by coiling it and securing it in a closed grid. That way you can flip it with ease to get every inch cooked to perfection. Avoid piercing the skin of your wors you don’t want to lose any of the juicy goodness to the flames!
- Timing is Everything: To avoid overcooking your meat, braai the boerewors for about 8 – 10 minutes, turning it often so that the skin doesn’t burn or burst.
OK’s Choice Boerewors is delicious all by itself, but sometimes you lus a little something extra! Try these tasty topping ideas to level up your basic braai.
- Tomato relish, jalapeños, sour cream, and fresh coriander
- Crispy bacon, mozzarella and fresh basil
- Caramelised onion and crumbled blue cheese
- Wholegrain mustard mayo, avocado slices and fresh rocket
At OK we pride ourselves in our exclusive OK Choice Boerewors – a delicious recipe expertly made by our butchers using only the best quality, freshest ingredients. So, light your fires, butter those rolls, and enjoy the mouth-watering taste of OK Choice Boerewors!